The English corner of our chat room

BildBild

The English corner of our chat room

Inläggav Christian Andersson fre 28 sep 2007, 14:48

Welcome to the English corner of our chat room. Discuss anything except research. Please just reply to my message - don´t start any new topics :)

Christian
Senast redigerad av Christian Andersson sön 30 sep 2007, 21:40, redigerad totalt 1 gång.
Christian Andersson

Inläggav Floyd Hallberg lör 29 sep 2007, 05:05

Hej Christian,
Thank you for keeping me posted on this. It will take me a little time before I know how to navigate the two sites.
It will be interesting to see what chat developes here.
Hälsningar,
Floyd Hallberg
Wausau, Wisconsin USA
Floyd Hallberg

Inläggav Linda Simonsson lör 29 sep 2007, 08:41

Hello Floyd,

Welcome to Ostkanten and Osthyveln, I hope you will enjoy our community.

/Linda
Linda Simonsson

Inläggav mats lör 29 sep 2007, 10:59

I understand that non Swedish speaking find it hard to write hear , as it isn't any information in English on how to registrer
mats

Inläggav Linda Simonsson lör 29 sep 2007, 11:05

Mats, up in the rigth corner there is a link "Bli medlem",
and please respect that this part of the community is in english.

/Linda
Linda Simonsson

Inläggav mats lör 29 sep 2007, 11:09

I know about "bli medlem", as I can write, but it's hard to understand for a non Swedish speaking. Make a link to a translation side and the problem will be solved.
mats

Inläggav Linda Simonsson lör 29 sep 2007, 11:15

Thanks for the suggestions, we will look in to a way of solving this problem.

/Linda
Linda Simonsson

Inläggav Eva Cumner mån 01 okt 2007, 14:23

Hi Floyd and "mats",

I also wish to welcome you to our forum. We have now updated the register page so that English speaking visitors should find it easier to register according to "mats" suggestions.

How's things in Wasau? Here in Karlskrona we are having a mild and humid fall so far. :)

All the best

Eva
Eva Cumner

Inläggav Floyd Hallberg tor 04 okt 2007, 06:22

Hej Eva
I hope this "Svara på ämne" is the way to reply to your nice greeting.

In Wisconsin the weather is very nice right now. The tree colors in the northern half of the state are very bright and nice. There are many tourists driving through to see the red, yellow, and orange leaves on the maple trees.

Most of the summer was rather dry, but there has been some rain lately. The Wisconsin river is lower than normal. My brother and I tried to canoe in it last week, but the southerly wind was too strong to fight. We ended the trip early.

I hope others will join in on the forum. It can be quite interesting I'm sure.

Thanks for all the work on this.
MVH
Floyd Hallberg
Wausau, Wisconsin
Floyd Hallberg

Inläggav Linda Simonsson tor 04 okt 2007, 06:40

Hej Floyd,

If you click on Profil higher up on this page, you can change all standard texts from Swedish to English by changing the option

Forumspråk/Board language:

to English.

/Linda
Linda Simonsson

Inläggav Floyd Hallberg tor 04 okt 2007, 06:50

Thank you, Linda.
That will help me a lot.
Best regards,
Floyd
Floyd Hallberg

Inläggav Linda Simonsson tor 04 okt 2007, 07:44

you're welcome :)
Linda Simonsson

Lutefisk and lefse in Wisconsin

Inläggav Floyd Hallberg sön 04 nov 2007, 06:27

There are not many Lutheran Churches of Swedish origin in my area, but there are many that were started by Norwegians. So my church has prepared 300 pounds of lefse for next weeks Norwegian Bazaar. I helped peel potatoes and fry the lefse with many volunteers.
Then today, a friend and I went to Our Saviors Lutheran Church in Merrill, Wisconsin to join in on the lutefisk and lefse feast this evening. It was good. A very nice way to end the day!
Floyd Hallberg

Inläggav Christian Andersson tor 08 nov 2007, 03:59

Hi Floyd.

So the lutefisk is already in stores over there? Well, you know what I think about lutefisk and lefsa. May be you should tell our visitors what lefsa is? I am not sure that they have heard about it.

So, how is the weather in Wisconsin? We have had a couple of nights with temerature below zero centigrades. Uff da, as you might say.

Regards Christian
Christian Andersson

Inläggav Floyd Hallberg tor 08 nov 2007, 07:03

Hi Christian,
The lutefisk dinners are quite rare here in Wisconsin. Some Lutheran churches still have the dinners in October or November. In fact, one might have to drive 50 (American) miles to get to one. Arlaine's home church has one 150 miles from here, but I was able to go 15 miles to Merrill, Wisconsin. Another church 50 miles southeast of here has a feast also.

Now for the lefse, I will try to describe it. It is like a fried potatoe pancake, but very thin. Cook white potatoes and then "rice" them in a strainerlike gadget. Add lots of butter and some sugar. Mix well. Add a lot of flour to the batch and mix in thoroughly.
Make doughballs about the size of a kropkake. Roll out into a very thin circle about the size of a large dinner plate with a rolling pin. Fry on an electric griddle or gas stove until each fried side has very small brown spots.

Our weather is getting colder now. This morning it was about -6 C. No snow yet. The ski hill is trying to make snow at night.
That's all for now.
Floyd
Floyd Hallberg

Nästa

Återgå till IN ENGLISH